Lewes Castle is one of the few venues in South East England where you can exchange your vows in the open air.
Standing proud in the heart of the South Downs Lewes Castle is a beautiful 1,000 year old romantic ruin with spectacular panoramic views of the Sussex countryside and old town of Lewes below.
Your wedding ceremony will take place under the ancient West Tower archway with beautiful rose bushes on either side. The traditional walk down the aisle is replaced by the zig-zag steps to The Keep, where up to 80 guests await in the Pleasure Garden under the shade of the old Lime Tree.
After your ceremony you can descend to the Gun Garden for drinks and canapes served by our in-house staff from the Pavilion building. The Gun Garden is also the perfect place for your bespoke wedding breakfast and reception where you can be joined by to 100 guests, celebrating, feasting and dancing the day away.
We have a wonderful catering partnership with Anise Catering who have a varied menu and drinks list and also love to create bespoke dishes designed just for you. The food is truly delicious and created by experienced chefs and served to perfection.
Available for weddings every day of the week between April and October, Lewes Castle with its breath taking beauty and unique historic setting really is the perfect place to celebrate your special day.
We offer exceptional care for you and your guests and we will work with you every step of the way to ensure your wedding is planned to perfection and is as you dream it will be.
Lewes is a popular town for weddings with it wonderful cobbled streets and historic buildings. The Castle stands tall and proud at the heart of the town and is easily accessible by car, bus and train from Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, Kent and London. The town with its many quaint hotels and amenities for guests traveling from a far make Lewes Castle the perfect site in the perfect place for your wedding day.
To make an appointment to view Lewes Castle and for further information please contact Hannah via email at email@example.com.
Our next Wedding Showcase is on Sunday 11th June 2017 11am till 4pm and we would love to see you there. Lewes Castle will be beautifully dressed for a wedding with our wedding team on hand to meet with you, answer all your questions and talk about your wedding plans and dreams. Entry to the Wedding Showcase is free and will include:
- A goody bag for every couple
- Welcome drinks and delicious canapes
- A chance to explore the Castle grounds and museum
- The chance to meet some of our most trusted suppliers
- Prize draw competition
We cannot wait to see you in June and welcome you to Lewes Castle.
For more information and to book tickets please click here.
Information can also be found on the Guide for Brides website http://www.guidesforbrides.co.uk/wedding-fairs/.
We cannot wait to see you in June!
Photograph credit to Eclection Photography.
Exclusive Hire of Lewes Castle
We are very excited to announce our new Exclusive Hire option of Lewes Castle.
Standing tall and proud in the heart of Lewes, a historic town in the rolling hills of the Sussex countryside, is the romantic ruin of Lewes Castle. Originally a stronghold built by William the Conqueror the castle was first home to his loyal friend William de Warenne and his beloved wife Gundrada, the first Earl and Countess of Surrey. The story pages of this amazing thousand-year-old castle tell tales of love and friendship, noble courtiers, chivalrous knights, courtly romance, brave battles, siege and betrayal and of course joyous feasting and lavish celebrations with no expense spared by the ruling Earls and Countesses of Surrey. Long retired as the impressive noble home and defensive stronghold of the South Downs, Lewes Castle is now a romantic fairy-tale ruin with breath taking views of the surrounding countryside, mysterious towers and beautiful walled gardens. Why not add your own tale to the story of this stunning Norman castle and follow in the footsteps of brave knights, heroic Earls and courageous Countesses. Allow us to take all the worries away and host your wedding celebrations for you, after all what better place to have your wedding than your very own fairy-tale castle?
Exclusive hire of Lewes Castle includes:
- Access to the castle from 10am till 5pm the day before for set up where possible, being an outdoor venue your event team will do certain aspects on the day for you
- Private access to the castle for pre-wedding photographs and a Sussex Garden Picnic for up to 12 people from 5pm till 8pm the evening before your wedding
- Exclusive use of the site from 9am till 11pm on the day of your wedding
- Access to the site from 10am till 4pm the day after for take down and collection
- Planning assistance from the weddings and functions manager, a wedding supervisor to lead your day, a deputy supervisor to assist and wedding assistants to care for you and your guests
- 50 ceremony area chairs, drinks tables and white table linen
- Banquet dining in the Gun Garden for up to 120 seated guests
- Use of the CD players
- Live musicians, bands or DJs welcome following our guidelines
- All catering is provided by our catering partnership company Anise Catering
- Experienced chef, catering staff, cutlery, glassware and all catering equipment included in Anise Catering costs
- Marquee, chairs and tables available through Anise Catering
- Food and drinks costs are in addition and paid directly to Anise Catering
We only host 6 exclusive hire days a year and exclusive hire is available between April and October any day of the week.
For more information about exclusive hire of Lewes Castle please contact Hannah at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01273 486290.
We hope you enjoy the handful of images below of our recent Lewes Castle weddings and find them inspiring for your special day.
For photography credits please click on the photographs.