Become a volunteer
Looking for a way to make friends and contribute to your community? Share our passion for the history and heritage of Sussex? Why not apply to become a volunteer for The Sussex Archaeological Society?
Volunteers generously give their time to help preserve, protect and promote the history of our region. As a registered charity, we simply couldn’t deliver our mission without them.
In exchange, they get the chance to indulge their love of history, make friends with fellow enthusiasts, and enjoy up-close access to our collections and historic sites.
What can I do as a volunteer?
There are lots of opportunities for volunteers to get hands-on with history. Whatever your interests, we’ll try to match you with a rewarding role you’ll really enjoy. Current volunteers are involved in tasks like:
- Cataloguing in our extensive library at Lewes Castle
- Gardening at Michelham Priory, Fishbourne Roman Palace or Lewes Castle
- Welcoming visitors to our historic sites as a museum or house guide
- Selling locally sourced products and gorgeous gifts in our on-site shops
- Providing invaluable admin support behind the scenes
Who volunteers… and why?
People volunteer with us for lots of reasons. We have young people gaining work experience in the heritage sector, retirees who finally have time to indulge their passion for the past, and everyone in between. What unites them is their fascination for the history of our county.
By volunteering, they get to:
- Enjoy closer interactions with our collections and artefacts
- Develop deeper expertise in Sussex’s fascinating history
- Make friends with fellow heritage enthusiasts
- Share their expertise with visitors to our museums and historic sites
- Become a valued part of a dedicated team
How do I volunteer?
If you are interested in getting involved, we would love to hear from you.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 01273 486 260