England’s longest medieval water filled moat surrounds the site which dates back to 1229.
Explore 800 years of Priory history here at Michelham: from its foundation by Augustinian canons, through the destruction caused by the dissolution of the monasteries in Tudor times into its later life as a country house. This picturesque island offers a great day out for the family. See our new video below.
The Tudor mansion includes:
– Interactive Victorian kitchen
– WWII evacuee bedroom
– Tudor kitchen
– Prior’s room
– 7 acres of grounds with kitchen garden, physic and medieval herb garden
– historic watermill and forge
– interactive medieval gallery in the 14th century gatehouse
– replica Bronze Age roundhouse
– children’s play area
– trails, dressing up and hands-on activities throughout the house
– café and gift shop
– regular events throughout the year (visit our ‘events’ page for details)
Download a Michelham Priory Leaflet 2019 here.
Our sites are open to all, but anyone under the age of 16 needs to be accompanied by an adult.
Please be aware that dogs are not permitted into the House or Gardens. Assistance dogs only. Thank you.
Accessibility: The gardens, ground floor of the house, cafe, barn and courtyard area are all accessible. Sensory tours available by prior arrangement, assistance dogs welcome. Access aids include loan wheelchairs, dedicated disabled toilet and ramps where necessary. See a full Access Statement hereContact: Michelham Priory, Upper Dicker, Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 3QS. 01323 844224, Email. Want to join the Michelham Team? We are currently looking for volunteers to help in our Watermill and a variety of customer service roles. Full training will be given. If you are able to help for a few hours a week at this beautiful site, then please email email@example.com