A beautiful historic setting full of original features and charm for the most intimate and romantic wedding.
Hidden away in the quaint Southover quarter of Lewes, Anne of Cleves House offers couples peace and romance away from the hectic pace of everyday life. This is a truly wonderful little house steeped in character and charm that you and up to 50 guests can celebrate your special day in.
Granted to Anne of Cleves by Henry VIII, the building has a long and colourful history. From its early days as lodging house for pilgrims, to the present where it is home to an eclectic local history museum, Anne of Cleves House has been providing a warm welcome to visitors for over six hundred years. Why not share your day with us and add your own page to its incredible story?
The wedding ceremony takes place in the East Room complete with beautiful beams, a large Tudor fire place, original furniture and a brick tile floor. After your ceremony you and your guests head into the Tudor Garden for drinks and canapes served by our in-house staff. The East Room and Tudor Garden also make the perfect romantic venue for a wedding breakfast and reception.
Sussex Past has a wonderful catering partnership with Anise Catering who have a varied menu and drinks list and also love to create bespoke dishes. The food is truly delicious and created by experienced chefs and served to perfection.
We offer exceptional care for you and your guests and we will work with you every step of the way to ensure your wedding is planned to perfection and is exactly as you dream it would be.
Lewes is a popular town for weddings with its wonderful cobbled streets and historic buildings. It is also brilliantly located with easy access from Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, Kent and London. Anne of Cleves House is nestled away in the peaceful Southover area of the town but still within easy walking distance of local car parks, train and bus stations, and local hotels making it the perfect wedding location for the perfect wedding day.
To make an appointment to view Anne of Cleves House and for further information please contact Hannah via email at email@example.com.
Photograph Credits: Title image Edward Reeves Photography.
Our next Wedding Showcase is on Sunday 23rd April 2017 11am till 4pm and we would love to see you there.
The East Room and Tudor Garden at Anne of Cleves House will be beautifully dressed for a wedding with our wedding team on hand to meet with you, answer all your questions and talk about your wedding plans and dreams.
Entry to the Wedding Showcase is free and will include:
- A goody bag for every couple
- Welcome drinks and delicious canapes
- A chance to explore the house and gardens
- Price draw competition
- The chance to meet some of our most trusted suppliers
We cannot wait to see you in April and welcome you to Anne of Cleves House.
To book tickets and for more information please click here.
Information can also be found on the Guide for Brides website http://www.guidesforbrides.co.uk/wedding-fairs/.
We cannot wait to see you in April!
Photograph credit to Positive Negative.
Exclusive Hire of Anne of Cleves House and Gardens
We are very excited to announce our new Exclusive Hire option for Anne of House and Gardens!
Hidden away in the Southover Quarter of Lewes, Anne of Cleves House has a long and colourful history. From its early days as a lodging house for distinguished guests of Lewes Priory, Anne of Cleves House has been a place of warm greetings, celebrations and lavish feasting for over 600 years. In 1538 the house fell into the hands of the crown during the dissolution of the monasteries and was later gifted to Anne of Cleves 4th wife of King Henry VIII, as part of their annulment proceedings. Following Anne’s death the house reverted to the crown and 1560 was purchased by Robert Saxpes and his beloved wife Margaret as a peaceful family home. The Saxpes family lived happily at Anne of Cleves House for any years often hosting parties and family celebrations in the house and delightful gardens. Why not follow in their happy footsteps, adding your own page to the colourful story of this charming house? Let us take the worries away and host your wedding celebrations for you in this peaceful Tudor country town house. What better way to spend your day then surrounded in beauty and history in a house once owned by Anne of Cleves?
Exclusive hire of the house and gardens includes:
- Access to the site from 10am till 5pm the day before for set up
- Private access to the house and gardens for pre-wedding photographs and a Sussex Garden Picnic for up to 12 people from 5pm till 8pm the evening before your wedding
- Exclusive use of the site from 9am till 11pm on the day of your wedding
- Access to the site from 10am till 4pm the day after for take down and collection
- Our dedicated and experienced staff team including planning assistance from the weddings and functions manager, a wedding supervisor to lead your day, a deputy supervisor to assist and wedding assistants to care for you and your guests
- 50 chairs, chair covers & sashes, drinks table, dining tables and white table linen included in the hire
- Capacity for seated banquets in the East Room is set at 50
- Use of the East Room CD player
- Live musicians, bands or DJs welcome following our guidelines
- Two flower arrangement and greenery for the East Room and greenery dressing for the bedroom, parlour and old kitchen created by our in-house florist
- All catering is provided by our catering partnership company Anise Catering
- Experienced chef, catering staff, cutlery, glassware and all catering equipment included in Anise Catering costs
- Marquee, choice of reception chairs and table hire available through Anise Catering
Exclusive hire is available between Mid-February and Mid-December any day of the week. We are limited to only 6 exclusive hire days a year.
For more information about wedding hire at Anne of Cleves House please contact Hannah via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01273 474610.
We hope you enjoy the handful of images below from our recent Anne of Cleves House weddings and find them inspirational for your special day.
For photography credits please click on the photographs.