- Michelham Priory House & Gardens: Open four days a week, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10:30 ‒ 17:00 with timed tickets available on arrival for entry to the house. Café offering take away service, shop open. Dogs welcome on short leads from 13:30 each day. Watermill closed until spring 2021.
- Fishbourne Roman Palace & Gardens: Open Saturday and Sundays, 10:30 – 16:00. Café offering takeaway service.
- Lewes Castle & Museum: Open Saturday and Sunday ,11:00 to 16:00. Please note that some parts of the castle and museum galleries will be closed due to Covid-19 restrictions.
- The Priest House, Marlipins Museum and Anne of Cleves House Museum: Closed until further notice.
Michelham Priory Moat:
Following Wealden MP, Nusrat Ghani debate in the House of Commons 2 weeks ago with Rebecca Pow the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Minister on the issue of the moat. Rebecca Pow arranged a Senior Management meeting between the SAS, Environment Agency and Nusrat. This productive meeting took place a few days ago with additional meetings scheduled in for the coming weeks. The Society is now able to work on a strategy with the Environment Agency and work towards restoring the moat. This will not be a quick process unfortunately as the Agency will be required to repair 2 of their sluice gates in order for the moat to be desilted and guaranteed water flow from the Cuckmere river in the future.
The Society wishes to thank Nusrat and the Senior Managers in the Environment Agency who are now proactively working with us.
Finds Liaison Officer:
We are delighted to announce that the SAS is continuing to work in partnership with the British Museum by hosting the Finds Liaison Officer for East and West Sussex at Barbican House. The DCMS funded Portable Antiquities Scheme funds Finds Officers across the country and is an important aspect of government investment in heritage and archaeology. The Portable Antiquities Scheme records archaeological objects found by the public (including by metal-detector users), to advance knowledge and to increase opportunities for public involvement in archaeology. The Society and British Museum are jointly recruiting now for a new Finds Liaison Officer. Full details are available on: https://sussexpast.co.uk/jobs
Society Events & Workshops this Autumn:
- Keep an eye out for our socially distanced small events at Michelham Priory & Fishbourne Roman Palace: Autumn wreath making workshop, Roman half term activities, foraging activities, Family Halloween day and ghost hunts.
- Why not take an autumn walk up to the Long Man of Wilmington? This iconic hill figure has just been repainted thanks to a team of enthusiastic volunteers and paint donated by Brewers.
- For our members, we are in the process of putting together a series of live online lectures and talks to run at regular intervals over the autumn and winter.
Keeping Up to Date
Follow our social media pages and website for all the latest news and stories from the Society, including members’ updates, property news, fundraising activities, filming, and updates from our 175 campaign patron, Tom Holland.