Now the Michael Hall Steiner School, this substantial country house on the edge of Ashdown Forest was probably built for William Nevill, 14th Lord Abergavenny, who bought the Kidbrooke Estate in 1733. Nevill was married to the sister of the Earl of Pembroke who was very interested in architecture and a patron of architects such as Roger Morris who might be the architect. The pediment bears the date of 1734 but was this a new build or a modernising of an older house?
The Nevill family sold the estate when they moved to Eredge. Several major architects altered the house between the late 1700s and the house becoming a Steiner school in 1946. There are good interiors dating from the early 18th century to the 1920s which show how changes in taste affected the interiors of country houses. Humphry Repton advised on the grounds in 1809. There are some interesting school buildings on the site. We will end our visit with a cream tea (included in the price).