This architectural exhibition draws on images from The Sussex Archaeological Society’s two reserve collections of sketches and watercolours by the artist and antiquarian Henry Petrie, FSA (1768 – 1842).
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries Henry began a record of all the churches and historic buildings across the counties of Sussex, Surrey, Bedfordshire and Kent. He even extended his research as far as France.
On Henry’s death all of his work; paintings, sketches and note books, passed to his sister Clarissa and her husband, Reverend John Sharpe. The collection was sadly split in the 1970s and the images of Sussex churches sold off. In 1975, with assistance from The Sussex Archaeological Society members and the Art Fund, The Society purchased what became known as The Sharpe Collection of watercolours of Sussex Churches.
In 2015 The Sussex Archaeological Society was notified that the remainder of Henry’s works was up for auction. Once again, with the generous support of members, The Society secured the Sussex material. This new collection included over 80 finished views of historic buildings from across the counties, itineraries and around 150 sheets from sketch books of preparatory drawings and studies of architectural detail.
An exhibition worth viewing for anyone interested in the magnificent architecture of local historic buildings.
At Lewes Castle’s Barbican House Museum
Exhibition on display until Sunday May 21st 2017
Normal admission applies.